What is the Cybersecurity Market?
Simply put, Cybersecurity is the set of technologies, processes and practices created to protect information assets regardless of how the information is formatted (i.e. media type) or whether it is being processed, stored or in transit. Cybersecurity systems (also referred to as information security systems) are designed to protect networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access.
The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS) provides and extended definition: Strategy, policy, and standards regarding the security of and operations in cyberspace, and encompassing the full range of threat reduction, vulnerability reduction, deterrence, international engagement, incident response, resiliency, and recovery policies and activities, including computer network operations, information assurance, law enforcement, diplomacy, military, and intelligence missions as they relate to the security and stability of the global information and communications infrastructure.
How Big is the Cybersecurity Market?
Industry research firm Markets and Markets estimates that the Cybersecurity market will grow from $95.60 billion in 2014 to $155.74 billion by 2019, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 10.3%. Markets and Markets states that the major forces driving this market are the rapid adoption of cloud-based services, wireless communication along with strict government mandates and increasing cyber-crimes in public utilities industries.
Every year, Symantec publishes its annual Internet Security Threat Report which provides an overview and analysis of the year in global threat activity. Highlights from the 2015 report include how cyber-attackers leap-frog corporate defenses, ransomware attacks increased over 110% and attacks on Internet of Things devices is a huge new vulnerability.
How is the Cybersecurity Market Segmented?
Markets and Markets has segmented the cyber security market:
- by types: network security, endpoint security, application security, content security, wireless security, and cloud security;
- by solutions: identity and access management, risk and compliance management, encryption, data loss protection, unified threat management, firewall, antivirus and anti-malware, IDS/IPS, SIEM, disaster recovery, DDoS mitigation, white listing, and others;
- by services: consulting, design and integration, risk and threat assessment, managed security services, and training and education;
- by vertical industry: aerospace, defense and intelligence, government (excluding defense) and public utilities, BFSI, telecommunication, healthcare, IT consulting, retail, manufacturing;
Who are the Top Cybersecurity Vendors?
There are many vendors in the cybersecurity market targeting specific applications and industries and working to provide unified, integrated systems. A partial list of vendors include Cisco, CSC, IBM, Booz Allen Hamilton, Fortinet, Juniper, Lockheed Martin, McAfee, Northrop Grumman, Symantec, Sophos, McAfee, Trend Micro, Tripwire and Websense.
What are the Top Cybersecurity Trade Shows?
- Real World Cryptography Workshop
- SmartSec Europe 2014: End-to-End Cyber Security for the Smart Grid
- RSA Conference (USA, Europe, Asia Pacific/Japan)
- International Symposium on Engineering Secure Software and Systems
- Financial Cryptography and Data Security
- Cyber Intelligence Asia
- The International Conference on Computer Security and Digital Investigation (ComSec)
- Annual Federal Information Systems Security Educators’ Association (FISSEA)
- Cyber Security for Energy & Utilities
- Black Hat (USA, Asia)
- European Security Conference & Exhibition
- InfoSec World
- National Cyber Crime Conference
- EXPOSEC International Security Fair
- National Homeland Security Conference
- SecureWorld Cyber Security Conference
- Security & Risk Management Summit